When most people begin vaping, they don’t pay too much attention to which e-cig or vaporizer they use, however over time, improving their vaping experience becomes more important, and when that happens they start to want to use the best vaping equipment possible – the best e-liquids, mods and batteries that they can find. There is plenty of advice out there about which vaping materials and gear to choose, however batteries are a more complex issue. When you choose a battery, there are lots of considerations to bear in mind other than price. A good quality battery has a long lifespan, so saving a small amount here or there isn’t very important. So, you may be asking yourself which vape battery is the best? The problem with this question is that there isn’t just one response, and different people have different preferences. Overall, an 18650 battery is the perfect choice for vaping, but there is no single 18650 battery which can claim to be the best product on the market. There are, however, 18650 batteries which are the best in their class, or the best to suit vapers who prefer different vaping styles.
Why 18650 Batteries?
The 18650 battery is a better choice for vapers than the batteries that come preinstalled with standard e-cigs because it is powerful, yet compact. Another advantage is that there is no need to purchase an external charger or new batteries, you can simply begin vaping from the moment you purchase your equipment, and there are no safety concerns that are such an issue with inbuilt batteries. Although there are a few benefits to in-built batteries, they are a disposable product, and once they have deteriorated, the entire unit must be thrown away which is not the case with an 18650 battery as it can be easily replaced at the end of its life without the need to dispose of the unit itself. Also, an 18650 battery gives the user much more control over their battery and mod quality, and a high quality battery will greatly improve your vaping experience.
TOP Batteries For Vaping
Up To 20A
LG HG2 18650 3000MAH 20A
LG is a well known, high quality brand, and in this product, both capacity and amperage have been maximized, with the 3000mAh capacity resulting in a long battery life with an output of 20A. These battery never gets to hot, with an operational temperature of 0 to 50° C when charging and 20 to 75°C when discharging. It has a nominal voltage of 3.6V, a high drain constant current of 20A and a full charge voltage of 4.2V.
Samsung 20R 22A 2000 mAh and 25R 20A 2500mAh
A good combination of capacity, current rating, running voltage and operating temperature, these batteries are a good choice. With its hybrid chemistry, these cells are much safer to use and both function extremely well, although the 25R has a higher capacity, while the 20R is a better choice for high drain options like sub ohm vaping.
MNKE IMR 26650: 20 A – 4,000 mAh
With its high maximum continuous discharge rating at 20A, twinned with the safer IMR chemistry and a high capacity of 4000 mAh, this battery is a good choice for any vaper with a 26650 mod.
KeepPower IMR 26650: 20 A – 4,200 mAh
With a maximum continuous discharge rating at 20A, this battery has IMR cells with their safer chemistry and are robust, making them ideal for use at lower amperages.
Samsung INR 18650-30Q: 15 A – 3,000 mAh
A top rated battery, the 30Q has a better than average amperage limit with up to 15A of continuous discharge. It also has a great capacity of 3,000 mAh.
AW IMR 18650: 20 A – 2,200 mAh
These lithium manganese batteries are a safer chemistry option for a better vaping experience. With a capacity of 2200 mAh, this battery has an amperage limit of 20A making this a perfect choice for sub ohm vapers.
LG 18650 HE2/HE4: 20 A– 2,500 mAh
Both the HE4 and HE2 hybrid battery from LG offer a continuous discharge of 20A and capacities of 2500 mAh. Both are dependable high quality options for an excellent vaping experience.
Between 20A and 30A
SONY VTC4 18650 2100MAH
From a well known and reputable brand, the Sony VTC4 is extremely safe with an operational voltage of 3.7V which is ideal for use with mech mods that have different capacities. This 2100 mAh battery has a high capacity, allowing vaping at 2100mAh for one hour, at 1050A for 2 hours or at 42000mAh for 40 minutes giving great flexibility. This battery is not suitable for any user that requires a high current rated battery however, as its current rating is 30A.
LG HD2 2000mAh
Providing ample current at a good capacity, the HD2 offers excellent voltages combined with moderate operating temperatures. Pushing the amperage limit to 25A, it is a great choice for vaping and thanks to its hybrid NMC chemistry it is a safer option than lithium cobalt batteries.
LG HB6 18650 1500 MAH 30A
The maximum continuous discharge from this battery is 30A and its nominal capacity is 1500 mAh. It has a peak voltage of 4.2V and a nominal voltage of 36V, with a discharge end voltage of 2.5V. This battery has a cool operating temperature thanks to its increased efficiency, and the result of this is a long battery lifespan. This battery has a high current rating and is therefore ideal for competition builds and for unregulated low ohm builds since it has a low internal resistance.
Sony US18650VTC5: 30 A – 2,600 mAh
This is one of the best batteries in its class on the market with its 30A limit and a capacity that is greater than the majority of other high drain batteries available.
Best High Drain Batteries
LG HE4 18650 35 AMP 2500 MAH
The LG HE4 is one of the top batteries to use in a high drain situation such as vaping with a high watt mod, serious cloud chasing or sub ohm vaping. With its high capacity and 20A continuous discharge current, it has an impressive discharge current of 35A max.
LG HG2 18650 20A 3000MAH
With an excellent lifespan at 3000mAh, the LG HG2 has a max discharge current of 20A which is ideal for high drain batteries. This is a great choice for sub ohm vapers, but it is also ideal for any variable wattage or variable voltage mod.
There are many things that you should do to ensure your vaping experience is as safe as possible:
- Keep all batteries away from pets and children
- Avoid charging your battery to 100% as this will help to preserve its lifespan. Charge it only to around 3.8 V or 3.6 V instead of 4.2 V
- When using a protected battery, make sure to calibrate it when it is fully charged i.e. use it until it is almost empty before charging it again
- Buy a high quality charger which allows you to change the voltage rather than a cheap one. Serious vapers should select a sophisticated charger that allows you to see the amount of energy being consumed by the battery as this enables you to check how rapidly your battery is degrading
- Never leave your battery dead for an extended period
- If you won’t be using your battery for some time, charge it to around 60% before storing it in a dry, cool place at around 60 degrees F. There is no need to store your battery in a fridge, but if you do, place it in a sealed plastic bag to avoid condensation
- Don’t leave a battery inside your charger or device for a long period of time if it is not in use
- Never leave a dead battery inside your device – always remove and dispose of it properly
- Never throw a dead battery in a fire, or crush it, damage it or disassemble it in any way]
- Avoid carrying loose batteries inside a pocket, especially if there are metallic objects such as coins there as a short-circuit may occur
- Never use one new and one old battery together in a dual battery mod
- Never use two different brands or types of batteries together, even if they have the same capacity and power
- Clean the battery’s surface by rubbing gently with a clean cloth or pencil eraser